Before You Get Started:
- Make sure your milk kefir grains are fully activated! Milk kefir grains must be rehydrated and fully active before being converted to water kefir grains.
- Keep in mind that the conversion is a complicated process that often fails even if all the right steps are taken. It is possible that the grains will be lost in the process, thus it is a good idea to have a set of back-up grains should you decide to attempt this conversion.
- Also, remember that once the grains have been converted, they cannot be changed back.
How to Convert Milk Kefir Grains:
- Dissolve ¼ cup sugar in 1 quart of water. Add ⅛ teaspoon unrefined sea salt. If using white or refined sugar, optionally add ½ teaspoon molasses, as well.
- Add active milk kefir grains to the sugar-water solution.
- Ferment for 4-5 days at room temperature.
- Separate the grains from the sugar water and Add them to a fresh batch of sugar water. Ferment at room temperature for 12-24 hours less than the previous batch.
- Repeat step 4, shortening the brew time by 12-24 hours each batch, until the culturing period is 48 hours or less.
- At this point, the grains have been converted into water kefir grains. Continue culturing for 24-48 hours per batch.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
How to make dairy (milk) kefir
Nourish Kefir "The Miracle Milk Drink"
Kéfir de lait / Milk kefir